Checkpoints



Oh, in case you were wondering (and I'd be hurt if you weren't)-- blogging has been light lately for a bunch of reasons. Most recently, I've been laid low with the flu (and temporary, utterly wrong-- and completely predictable, given my hypochondriac tendencies--worries that it was something worse). School always ramps up much faster than I think it will. Facebook tempts me more often these days, with its pithy little status updates that require much less effort than a blog post. And finally, I'm running blogs for each of my classes this semester (which are great, by the way-- I'm learning a lot from my students), so a lot of my blog energy is being re-channeled into other spaces.

Also-- I created a blog cloud, down in the corner there, deciding that after a couple of years (!!) of doing this, it might be useful to have tags on posts. So I went back and re-tagged everything, and now have to remind myself to tag new posts. It was an interesting experience, coming up with categories for entries that were often written much more in a mode of moving across categories, written to weave together points that might initially seem quite disparate. And it was interesting to see which categories ballooned like Rush Limbaugh at an OxyContin convention, to realize just how many times I mentioned Joss Whedon, or Obama, or The OC. And I guess after that sort of look back, I just wanted to blog a little less, feeling a bit burnt out and worrying about redundancy. But I enjoy this too much (and like staring at clouds, imagining their shapes to come) to stop doing it entirely. So please forgive me if posting is a bit less frequent than it was at this point last year-- I'm still here, I'm still reading you all, and I promise to check in from time to time.

Comments

dave said…
I actually like the fact that your blog has periods of activity and periods of dormancy--I would have to say my reading of blogs is often similar, where some weeks I'll visit blogs a great deal, and others, I won't. And I don't think I've ever read a post here and thought it was redundant--a set of consistent preoccupations is not the same as being repetitive, which I've never found your writing to be.
the lc said…
I agree with Dave, and I also think your word cloud simply reveals that you have another book in the making....
Brian Doan said…
Thanks, all! I think I read blogs in the same way, Dave, and I appreciate your supportive words. Yours, too, lc!

Popular Posts